[Openicc] Print Color Pipeline + No Colormanagement

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Wed Jan 26 08:03:29 PST 2011

Hello Kai-Uwe, hello list
May be I´m wrong, because I´m not a developer...

I tried to describe a workflow, where the printer driver is the place to
assign ICC-profiles to driver settings. The g-c-m is in this case a
central place for applications to know, which profile is currently valid
for the driver setting, or if a printout without any ICC based color
transformation is should be made.

Based on this infrastructure we can either have a graphics library which
is doing color transformations from document colorspace to the output
device (monitor or printer driver setting) or the application itself
handles such color transformations.

As the printer driver has a connection to g-c-m, we can be shure, that
there is only one color transformation from document colorspace to
printer driver setting.

If printer driver settings incl. assigned ICC-profiles could be exported
and imported, we have several workflow scenarious both for standard and
color expert users:
- driver settings with cannend profiles as part of the driver standard
installation
- vendors of print media offering downloads of drivers settings incl.
ICC profiles
- esay possibilty to build up an infrastructure for profiling services
- easy possibility to start ArgyllCMS as profiling engine direct from
the driver and assign the Argyll-profile automatically to the driver
setting.

My question to Kai-Uwe
Would be a similar workflow possible with Oyranos ?

Best regards
Jan-Peter

--
----------  Please note the new adress --------------