[Openicc] meta data in test chart

Alastair M. Robinson blackfive at fakenhamweb.co.uk
Wed Jan 26 10:29:44 PST 2011

Hi :)

On 26/01/11 10:41, Richard Hughes wrote:

> Would the fall back space be:
>
> * session preference?
> * per-queue configurable?
> * system policy?

Ideally, a per-job setting, with a default associated with the queue -
so a PPD-based option I guess.

> Surely we just have to enforce that the applications set and send the
> document colorspace when the page is printed.

Well ideally they will, but it won't happen overnight.  It'll still be a
while before all apps have made the transition to PDF printing, for one
thing.

> GIMP already knows my
> document colorspace and my display colorspace for each monitor, and
> corrects the image automatically.

Yeah, but GIMP's specifically designed to know about images.  If I use
half a dozen images in an OpenOffice document, then print it, the print
queue's going to get a Postscript file, not a PDF with nicely tagged images.

> It makes complete sense for GIMP to ask the session automatically what
> the default colorspace for new documents should be. This is what the
> session DBus interface in GCM allows. This colorspace just has to be
> sent to the CUPS device so we can do just the single device
> conversion.

Yup, that's great - the trick is allowing applications to make use of
that without being hampered by fallback support for legacy applications,
and escape hatches for printing pre-targetted images such as profiling
charts.

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson