[Openicc] Linux CM ideology, was: meta data in test chart

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Jan 27 23:15:38 PST 2011

Am 27.01.11, 23:33 -0000 schrieb Alastair M. Robinson:
> On 27/01/11 22:28, Hal V. Engel wrote:
>
>> 3. As the work can be done convert CM smart apps to use the system level CM
>> path for screen output.  This will take some effort and likely will not
>> happen
>> until everyone is convinced that CompICC (or similar) is mature.  Also
>> these
>> apps will need to retain the non-CompICC CM code path for other OSes like
>> Windows.
>
> Am I right in thinking that applications wanting to perform soft-proofing
> will need to continue using the opt-out, or is that capability likely to make
> it into CompICC at some point?

The original Compiz plugin from Tomas Carnecky had a opt-in model
in mind. However I inverted that to a opt-out model after priorising the
average code, which assumes sRGB everywhere to support 99% of the users.
(Hey, thats cool marketing :).
Tomas' code would have to be introduced again with a extension of the
net-color spec to communicate that capabilities to applications. That
would need a volunteer.