[Openicc] Linux CM ideology, was: meta data in test chart

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Jan 27 23:50:47 PST 2011

Am 28.01.11, 08:15 +0100 schrieb Kai-Uwe Behrmann:
> Am 27.01.11, 23:33 -0000 schrieb Alastair M. Robinson:
>> On 27/01/11 22:28, Hal V. Engel wrote:
>>> until everyone is convinced that CompICC (or similar) is mature.  Also
>>> these
>>> apps will need to retain the non-CompICC CM code path for other OSes like
>>> Windows.
>>
>> Am I right in thinking that applications wanting to perform soft-proofing
>> will need to continue using the opt-out, or is that capability likely to
>> make it into CompICC at some point?
>
> The original Compiz plugin from Tomas Carnecky had a opt-in model in mind.
> However I inverted that to a opt-out model after priorising the average code,
> which assumes sRGB everywhere to support 99% of the users.
> (Hey, thats cool marketing :).
> Tomas' code would have to be introduced again with a extension of the
> net-color spec to communicate that capabilities to applications. That would
> need a volunteer.

To answere your question, proofing remains typical in the domain of
applications.

CompICC git has a hidden switch to enable Oyranos seetings including soft
proofing and out of gamut gamut marking for the whole desktop. I doubt it
is very useful, as it covers only the desktops sRGB regions. Here is the
http://compicc.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=compicc/compicc;a=commitdiff;h=46e8d9e651fba473e11c41ab2f59deaa515cbcea;hp=814f32f2d45ed97b87cf7395b114a06bcbcfeb0a