[Openicc] Linux CM ideology, was: meta data in test chart

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 17:30:17 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 2:13 AM, Graeme Gill <graeme at argyllcms.com> wrote:
> Jon Cruz wrote:
>>
>> If you scroll down you should see a drop-down labeled "Play episode as :"
>>
>> Choices I see are
>> "Source — Flash Video (.flv)"
>> "Web — Ogg Theora/Vorbis (.ogv)"
>> "Portable (iPod) — MPEG-4 Video (.m4v)"
>>
>> Then below that is a link for "Play in HTML5"
>
> Yes, tried all that, none of the options worked for me with a version
> of FireFox.
>
>> I believe some people were using that info to be able to actually download
>> the Ogg.
>
> There's no direct links on the page though.
>
> James Cloos did discover this, which worked after I downloaded it.
>
> http://blip.tv/file/get/Linuxconfau-XAndTheFutureOfLinuxGraphics549.ogv?referrer=blip.tv&source=1&use_direct=1&use_documents=1
>

> It seems from the video and the response to the question near the end,
> that those at the heart of Unix/Linux graphics, still don't have much
> of a clue about color management is, or why anyone would want it.
>
> Graeme Gill.

I don't think they're idiots. I think Color Management has too much
historical archeological accreted cr*p attached to it.

I mean, I've actually written real code from scratch dealing with
color (a camera profiler in Matlab) and I still don't understand how
print CMS works, or what goes into these geeky profile files.

It all reminds me of how we used to do pounds shillings and pence,
bushels, ounces, pounds and stones, feet and yards and miles endlessly
when I was in primary school, and then finally I went to a different
school and we had metric!

Let me ask you guys a serious question - this is not a joke - don't
you think that if the current CMS paradigm were reformulated and
simplified (a bit like metric) people who design the OS tools would
find it worthwhile to factor CMS in directly?

Edmund