[Openicc] Linux CM ideology, was: meta data in test chart

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 17:54:54 PST 2011

Don't want to comment too much on my own post, and this off topic, but
Imperial was really great, because it was rooted in immediacy, however
those endless unit calculations drove everyone crazy. With metric, a
calculation would just resolve in the end to some arithmetic and
deciding where the decimal point went.

And I wonder whether the same shouldn't happen with the color stuff,
at the moment everything is always in some totally artificial local
referential (profile), and the referentials keep getting changed as
one moves from one point to another in the system, so in fact it is
impossible to know whether the intended color is still there or has
got damaged beyond repair. If a way could be found to keep a unique
set of (colorimetric?) numbers from beginning to end, maybe with a
transform description attached, then algebra might assert its primacy,
and people might find programming easier.

I once got interested in adding "looks" to images; I managed to
describe the problem algebraically, that took me two weeks.
Implementation took less than a day and worked perfectly.

Edmund