[Openicc] Linux CM ideology, was: meta data in test chart

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Feb 1 20:51:34 PST 2011

On Feb 1, 2011, at 9:21 PM, Graeme Gill wrote:

> Chris Murphy wrote:
>
>> To move to something else requires Adobe, but Adobe isn't even on Linux. I don't know
>> what their interest in this is.
>
> Chris Cox, on one of their forums explained this pretty clearly.
> See <http://forums.adobe.com/message/3116658>
> There simply isn't the demand for Adobe products on Linux to justify
> the considerable expense involved in supporting Linux. They do survey
> interest, but there is little. This is hardly a surprise when many
> people will choose their platform specifically to be able to access
> the best available tools. (ie. Graphics arts people will buy a Mac
> to get all the Apple and Adobe graphics tools.)

Yeah I stated the ridiculously obvious, and then made an unclear statement.

What I really meant to say is that I don't know what their interest is in supporting a new direction, e.g. a derivative ICC specification, or whatever it would be. Whatever new direction would seem to require their involvement. And if they are involved in it, but not involved in Linux, I think open source still needs a say in the direction. I don't think getting a collection of companies who ultimately compete against each other is exactly the best collection of people to create a committee because it's a conflict of interest. We've already had that.