[Openicc] Epson HTM CUPS drivers

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Feb 7 17:30:22 PST 2011

Has anyone looked into wrapping Epson's existing HTM (half-tone module) for their pro printers for Linux/CUPS? Maybe this is a licensing issue for Linux that just can't be bridged. But without asking, maybe no one knows the answer to this.

I ask because on Mac OS X, they are just a scaled down HTM (RGB only), put into a wrapper for CUPS and supporting Mac OS X's print dialog extension scheme. Most of the proofing RIPs on the market even use these HTMs (RGB + CMYK paths). Caveats are, you don't get control over droplet sizes, ink limits, GCR, any of that stuff. It's just like the native Epson/OS driver on Mac OS and Windows. You're control is limited to media type settings, all of which are based on Epson media.

I have no idea if Epson charges a licensing free for these full HTMs for RIP vendors. I don't think they do. But they are only available on the non-consumer printers. I think there's one for the R2880, but that's unique. Usually it's  just the 17" and wider printers that get the HTM.

Just a thought.