[Openicc] Linux CM ideology .. Linux CM proposal

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Tue Feb 8 05:37:27 PST 2011

Richard Hughes wrote:

> Okay, maybe using Fedora as the example isn't the most politically
> wise move, but my point is to illustrate that libxml2 and sqlite are
> going to be shipped by default on the CD media in *every*
> distribution.

I think that's a indication as to acceptance and popularity.

But it doesn't cover independent software. The question has
to be answered as to whether software that not connected with
any distro, and being completely stand alone will find the
proposed format and its implied dependency acceptable.

> You might say I'm biased, but to me a system-wide sqlite database of
> profiles to device mappings with an optional DBus interface and
> PolicyKit authorisation control makes total sense as an opening move.

I'd be unhappy to have DBus as a requirement. I see DBus as something
you'd put on top of whatever configuration storage/library is used,
in situations where DBus makes sense.