[Openicc] CUPS Color Management under Linux gets into distros

Hal V. Engel hvengel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 13:14:29 PST 2011

On Tuesday, February 08, 2011 08:33:57 AM Till Kamppeter wrote:
> For testing you need the PDF printing workflow:
>
> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/pdf_as_
> standard_print_job_format

This page is not current as it has things like links to patches for
poppler-0.11.x which I think add CM support similar to what is in
poppler-0.12.0 and later.   Most recent release is 0.16.2 and most distros
will have version 0.14.4 or 0.14.5 as the stable version so no patches are
required for most users unless they are running very old software.

It has a section on GhostScript 8.64 when the current version is 9.0 although
9.0 is not yet included in most distros as a stable version.  But it seems to
me that any testing should be done using the latest version of GhostScript
since this will likely be commonly used by the time the PDF printing work flow
is in wide use.  Also I noticed that Ghostscript appears to create a
pdftoraster filter.  To test this I just installed GhostScript-9.0 on my system
(Gentoo so this is built from source) and it does create a pdftoraster as well
as pstopxl and pstoraster filters.   Interestingly the ebuild also installed
poppler-data-0.4.,4 as a package that GhostScript is dependant on.   Perhaps
we should also test the GS V9 version of this as well since it may actually
have better CM support than the poppler based filter (IE. maybe it supports
rendering intent and/or uses the PDF OutputIntents to get the output profile
for example).

Hal