[Openicc] Alternative CUPS Raster based print color workflow

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Sat Mar 5 04:55:32 PST 2011

Hello Krita team and Open ICC list,
in the discussion of the last two weeks, we learned, that the libreries
for generating PDF spool files are fare away from handling other PDF
colorspaces than DeviceRGB.

For CUPS itself, it is not mandatory, that the print spool file must be
PDF (or legacy PostScript..). At www.cups.org it is stated, that also
completly raster based print workflows are possible.

For implementing color management in the CUPS environment, this would
allows follow scenario

1) sRGB canned profile approach for PDF (and legacy PostScript) print
workflows
This is a workflow we already have talked here on the list, and which
probably will be implemented with GhostScript as the XXXtoraster engine
in the future

2) ICC based print raster workflow
This would be an alternative CUPS workflow with only a rastertoraster
filter. This workflow is dedicated to all ICC aware LINUX imaging apps,
which are able to export a raster file with the document colorspace as
an embedded ICC-profile.

The rastertoraster filter is mainly littleCMS with some wrapping around to
- read the embedded profile of raster spool file as source profile in
littleCMS
- to use the cupsIC profile workflow to be configured as target profile
in littleCMS

 From the standpoint of the driver vendor (e.g. Gutenprint, Turboprint
or other...), they concentrate on settings with ICC profiles and the
support of cupsICCprofile.
Handling the different kind of spool files is part of CUPS configuration.

If such a additional CUPS configuration has a clear naming e.g.
"ImagesOnly-Printer" and must be manually installed by the user, we have
follwoing scenario:

1) The standard CUPS installation in the distro is PDF / PostScript sRGB
only
2) Users which are interested in advanced color workflows, can download
the alternatice "ImagesOnly-Printer" installation
3) Both installations can make use of the same cupsICCprofiles driver setups
4) App vendors like e.g. Krita have only to provide an image with
embedded document profile as print spool file to a standardized CUPS
interface.

Krita team:
Could you imagine to support this sketch of a workflow ?

Kind regards
Jan-Peter

--
----------  Please note the new adress --------------