[Openicc] Linux CM ideology .. Linux CM proposal

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Feb 8 18:43:45 PST 2011

On Feb 8, 2011, at 5:23 PM, Graeme Gill wrote:

> Chris Murphy wrote:
>
>> The average Mac user probably has 10-20. A typical Adobe Photoshop user with one inkjet
>> will have around 30 profiles. Anyone making custom profiles is probably automatically
>> in the 100+ profile range.
>
> Right. But per device it's a much smaller number. So searching through an
> (in memory) list of profile names and attributes (that may have been extracted
> from the configuration file, or the profile itself), to find the best
> match to the current printer configuration amongst a dozen profiles,
> should take a fraction of a micro second, even for a linear search.
>
> Given a complicated enough matching criteria, and an SQL query probably
> won't help anyway.

Most people don't search profiles by device though. They search for them by color space. Or by color space and profile class. At least, that's how the UI is presented. There could be a better way which would be presenting them also by device model with cascading menus. Point is that it's not necessarily the case that the search is just through 5-12 profiles. It's likely through all of them and being parsed by some other factor that makes sense, like if the pop-up is for printing, that the profile class be prtr and not mntr.

I'm not a database expert so I will leave the engineering up to people who understand such things. All I'm proposing from my perspective is that I don't really care if this thing is human readable. It's just not interesting to me at all. I just want it to work. And I also think it needs to be system wide, not only user specific.

Chris