[Openicc] Linux CM ideology .. Linux CM proposal

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 05:26:12 PST 2011

Chris,

I think the big advantage of Gutenprint is that even if Robert dropped
it, small maintenance could continue so users would get several years
of grace to migrate or for someone to take it up again.
I was able to get a new printer up (3880) and print to professional
color managed standard with it with about a day's work. The main help
to do so came not from Robert but from Till Kampeter.

Frankly, if you want a commercial supported ecosystem for everyday
desktop graphics work, Microsoft or Apple, Adobe and a RIP  now
provide decent and fairly inexpensive solutions for end-users. Most of
us are aware of that, and we don't try to export revolution. The
machine I am writing on is a Mac.

But Linux is useful for some purposes, and it looks like with Android
it has already outpaced the Mac, and will soon have a bigger installed
base than Microsoft, and these guys need to be able to view films
photos, and even print.

Edmund