[Openicc] HP Elitebook 8540W notebook with Dreamcolor display

Emil Briggs emil at briggspack.com
Sat Feb 12 06:00:44 PST 2011

On Friday 11 February 2011 18:02:10 Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Am 11.02.11, 17:18 -0500 schrieb Emil Briggs:
> > I very recently acquired an HP Elitebook 8540W equipped with the
> > Dreamcolor display. I'm running Linux on it and while searching for
> > software that would let me utilize the screen to it's full capabilities
> > I ran across a mention of ookala-mcf in an old thread here.
> > Unfortunately that project seems to be dead and the code threw lots of
> > errors when I tried to build it. Is anyone aware of any other Open
> > source projects that might have support for this hardware?
>
> A actual compiling Linux version of ookala-mcf is available [1].

Thanks. I grabbed a copy. It built with no issues. I tried running hpdc_util
to see what was there and it gave me a "No displays found" message.

i2cdetect -l shows 10 separate /dev/i2c-* nvidia entries so the kernel i2c
support is there. I ran hpdc_util again with strace and started looking
through the code. The devices are opened successfully but writing to them
fails. I'm not quite sure how to proceed next. I do have the Quadro graphics
card with the proprietary driver. Just for kicks I tried using the opensource
nvidia driver but this does not work -- looking in the Xorg.0.log it finds the
I2C/ddc interfaces but is unable to read any EDID information from them.

The proprietary driver does have an option to enable 30 bit color so I tried
that. I see what you mean about the apps not being ready :)

I'm going to spend some time wrapping my head around the ookla code to see if
I can figure out why it's not working (though I suspect that it may be related
to the i2c kernel stuff).