[Openicc] HP Elitebook 8540W notebook with Dreamcolor display

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri Feb 11 15:02:10 PST 2011

Am 11.02.11, 17:18 -0500 schrieb Emil Briggs:
> I very recently acquired an HP Elitebook 8540W equipped with the Dreamcolor
> display. I'm running Linux on it and while searching for software that would
> let me utilize the screen to it's full capabilities I ran across a mention of
> ookala-mcf in an old thread here. Unfortunately that project seems to be dead
> and the code threw lots of errors when I tried to build it. Is anyone aware of
> any other Open source projects that might have support for this hardware?

A actual compiling Linux version of ookala-mcf is available [1].

Assuming you have a inbuild Quadro graphics card, which enables this
display to pass through 30-bit. Only the propriarity nvidia driver does
support 30-bit on that graphics card. You distribution will typically have
packages for that. I found the KDE desktop most useful as Qt seem 30-bit
ready other than Gtk for the Gnome desktop. However window borders where
not nice rendered in my tests. At the moment only OpenGL applications make
use of that capabilities.

Btw. most open source imaging applications and games are not ready for
30-bit. They display simply black rectangles. This includes all Gtk based
applications I tested, Inkscape, Gimp, CinePaint, Photoprint ...
Instead I used a custom OpenGL image viewer for testing only.
Blender should work and benefit from the additional precission.
I guess you want to do imaging with the device.

To create a ICC display profile with a measuring device you might want to
use ArgyllCMS or the GUI dispcalGUI. RPM packages are available [2]. These
one I tested. LProf or GCM might work as well.

Without a colour measument device you can create ICC profiles on the fly
from EDID with Oyranos. RPM packages are here [3].

If the display is a wide gamut one, the desktop might look very saturated.
The only project which can compensate that is CompICC [4] at the cost
that only CinePaint can currently deploy the wide gamut display. Both are
available as RPM packages [5] and only packages from this repository
work together.

Alternatively you can use a colour managed application in full screen
mode. Many applciations offer that.

[1] git clone git://www.oyranos.org/git/ookala-mcf
[2] http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=dispcal
[3] http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=Oyranos