[Openicc] CUPS Color Management under Linux... (what is to do ?)

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Feb 18 09:03:37 PST 2011

Anyone have Fedora 14 running on a machine? Check out the five network related GUI options:

Network Authorization
Network Connections
Network Proxy
Network
Network Device Control

And if you read the documentation many are referred to by a different name, like Network is referred to as Network Manager even though you won't find Network Manager in the GUI at all. It's called Network.

The clusterF*ck that is terminology and consistency when it comes to something like networking, is exactly what will happen to color management if everyone has different preferences and this stuff diverges from common ground. Most users find these kinds of fiefdoms irritating as hell. I certainly find it annoying to have to spend hours figuring out how something as basic as networking is supposed to work. And while networking can certainly be complex, it doesn't have to be in five different panels, each with multiple tabs, some of which don't appear to do anything, others which overlap and seemingly contradict, on and on.

We've had this already with Mac OS in a smaller version. Remember the ColorSync control panel, and then the first few ColorSync Utility attempts? You could set default color spaces for RGB, CMYK, etc. 99% of applications ignored the panel. The panel didn't make this clear. People thought it did something and didn't realize that applications had to explicitly be written to honor the settings in the panel, that they weren't really system level settings. So the settings were considered useless/unreliable and now they're gone (finally, thank you Apple).

So if there will be fiefdoms, and the lords won't cede or compromise any of the domain in favor of logical, coherent behaviors and interfaces, then open color management will be a clusterF*ck worse than anything Microsoft or Apple have ever come up with. It won't just be different among distributions. It will be a visual, irrational mess on the same distribution. That's a prediction, hopefully I'm wrong.

Chris