[Openicc] Application based print color mangement

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Tue Feb 22 03:44:12 PST 2011

Hello all,
So far as I know, Inkscape, Scribus, Cinepaint and may other
applications are doing colormangement for printing inside the application.

It would be nice, if at least for the three mentioned applications,
somebody could describe, how this is technically solved in the application:

- what kind of rendering engines are used inside the application ?
- Is colormanagement for the printer applied direct in the rendering
engine or after rendering to a bitmap ?
- Does the application support the Common printing dialog ?

Backgroung of my question will be a proposal, how the current valid
profile for a printer setting could be communicated through the Common
Print Dialogue to an application, which is doing application based print
color management.

At the current stage of e.g. Inkscape, the user has to configure
manually the the printer profile for the printer setting he is choosing:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/Inkscape/ColorManagement

Best regards
Jan-Peter

--