[Openicc] Application based print color mangement

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Feb 22 04:40:37 PST 2011

Am 22.02.11, 12:44 +0100 schrieb Jan-Peter Homann:
> It would be nice, if at least for the three mentioned applications, somebody
> could describe, how this is technically solved in the application:

I will describe for CinePaint, That may apply in large parts to PhotoPrint
as well.

> - what kind of rendering engines are used inside the application ?

The native bit depth is converted through lcms1 to 16-bit input for
Gutenprint.

> - Is colormanagement for the printer applied direct in the rendering engine
> or after rendering to a bitmap ?

There is no PDF involved, if that was the question. The colours go
straight from source pixels to the output device colour space.

> - Does the application support the Common printing dialog ?

No. It uses a Gutenprint specific dialog. The spool file is
native printer language and completly independent from xxxtoraster
filters.

> Backgroung of my question will be a proposal, how the current valid profile
> for a printer setting could be communicated through the Common Print Dialogue
> to an application, which is doing application based print color management.

There are generally two paths. Parsing the cupsICCProfiles or doing a
match search for the given PPD inside a ICC profile data base.

> At the current stage of e.g. Inkscape, the user has to configure manually the
> the printer profile for the printer setting he is choosing:
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/Inkscape/ColorManagement

The cupsICCProfile and a working xxxtoraster filter will make the profile
selection automatic for vendor profiles, which get installed with the
PPD package. Administrators can set or modify that as well.

The other way is to set the OutputIntent for a PDF/X and fix
Ghostscript and Poppler to honour that destination profile.

For user interaction there are two ways possible around the OutputIntent.
A automatic system can search in a local ICC profile data base and the
profile is selected according to the actual print settings, typical from
a flat PPD. Or the profile is explicitely set in some dialog for the
actual print settings.