[Openicc] colord Printing Plans

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Feb 24 11:32:42 PST 2011

Am 24.02.11, 16:10 -0000 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 24 February 2011 15:51, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What happens if the application from which the job is sent and the printer
>> are not on the same machine or not even on the same local network. CUPS has
>> all capabilities for networked printing, even through the internet. Does
>> this mechanism also work in such a situation?
>
> At the moment, I'm concentrating on the local system use case. The
> idea is that a remote print server will also have an instance of
> colord, and the profiles will be setup on the remote server with the
> icc profiles there. If there is a need to upload the icc file, we can
> look at adding the logic in CUPS to make that possible. That's
> certainly phase 2, so to speak.

You appears to have no idea about this question in your concept. That
makes it not less relevant to provide a answere at this stage.

>> Is it really needed to have an
>> extra daemon? Is it not possible to do everything with CUPS (perhaps with
>> patches to CUPS)?
>
> I'm sure you could do it all in CUPS, but it's better if you can have
> it a a separate process that hold all the mappings from devices to
> profiles for all devices, e.g. scanners, cameras and most importantly
> displays. This allows you to have display correction without
> installing cups, for instance.

When does CUPS display correction? In the Gnome file browser?

CUPS has already a answere to server side profile configuration. It is
the cupsICCProfile. In case the PPD allows only to modify the three
attributes which colord uses as well, all work is done for server side
profile selection. You are introducing a redundant path for no benefit.

>> Do have made the code of pdftoraster and pstoraster available somewhere?
>> pstoraster is perhaps even not needed as due to the nature of Ghostscript
>> accepting both PDF and PostScript as input probably pdftoraster also accepts
>> PostScript and does the right thing with it.
>
> Sure, I've got a private branch here. I've abstracted out a lot of the
> code in pstoraster.c into common.c and am now calling that code from
> both pstoraster.c and pdftoraster.c. If the ghostscript guys want me
> to, I'll happily combine them into one executable and make the pdf
> specific stuff in pdftoraster conditional on the mime type that's been
> sent.
>
> Hopefully today or tomorrow I'll split my mega-commit up into easy to
> review chunks and I'll post it to the gs-devel.

Postscript is done. Why spent time on that?