[Openicc] colord Printing Plans, CPD and Gutenprint

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sat Feb 26 17:24:16 PST 2011

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 22:38:52 +0100, Jan-Peter Homann wrote:
> Hello Richard,
> Would following workflow possible with colord:
>
> - driver setting (e.g. Gutenprint, Turboprint or future printer vemdor drivers) have explicit settings with assigned profiles
> - These driver settings are e.g. presented through CPD to the enduser
> - If the user chooses a driver setting in CPD, the assigned profile for the driver setting is communicated to colord
> - colord will configure the driver profile in p*toraster
>
> If the driver settings with assigned profiles could be imported in the driver, it would be possible to install automatically the correct standard profiles through importing the driver setting.
> Also the configuration of the printer profile in p*toraster would be fully automatically by choosing a driver setting in CPD or another UI for the driver.
>
> ---
> Rendering Intents in colord:
> Any plans, that colord can handle rendering intents (including relatice colorimetric with blackpoint compensation)
>
> Question to Robert Krawitz
> - could you imagine to support such a workflow by telling colord which profile is valid for a current Gutenprint setting ?

Yes, although the question is whether this function belongs in the
core Gutenprint library or the CUPS driver.  There's also the question
of how this would interact with user-generated profiles (if the user
re-profiles the printer and prefers to use her profile rather than the
one we provide).

Alastair, if we provided something like this within libgutenprint,
would you use it in PhotoPrint?  Or is this something you see
PhotoPrint as doing, in which case it would make more sense to put it
in our CUPS driver?