[Openicc] Printing Plans GhostScript / sRGB / ICC

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Mar 2 12:42:36 PST 2011

Am 02.03.11, 19:18 +0100 schrieb Jan-Peter Homann:
> I believe printer vendors offering non ICC based RGB drivers has one main
> source:
> They don´t want the users to control GCR, becuase, this would offer the users
> to easily to print with less ink, or to allow easily other media.
> printer vendors make their money from selling ink and nor from selling
> printers...
>
> I agree, that open source printer drivers with cannend ICC profiles have the
> potential to deliver out of the box a comparable quality to closed source
> drivers and open to the users much more potential usecases.
>
> +++
>
> The discussion on how to handle printing DeviceXXX spool data without applied
> "sRGB to printer profile transformtion" is in my eyes a little bit strange.

Its a ISO standard. Why should we ignore that?

> We only have to take care, that the pdftoraster filter can be easily
> configured to print straight forward. What should not be complicated both for
> GhostScript and poppler.

I think we can achieve two things with the PDF inherent colour management
off switch:
* we can, want and I assume must conform to a ISO standard
* its network transparent for user profiles

> If we are able to transport printer specific options like e.g. duplex options
> beside the PDF spool file, we should also be able to transport a flag for
> turning colormanagement of in pdftoraster filter beside the PDF spool file. I

They would not be standard and harder to argument about.

If we go with a redundant option for the ICC profiles we run into trouble.
Then questions arise like which profile to prefere, the flag or the PDF
standard? What is safer to implement? What is better to recomment? Choice
is in this case not helpful. We are better served by avoiding latent
ambiguity.

> don´t see any need to integrate a "color management of flag" directly into
> DeviceXXX PDF files.

It is not to be integrated. The standard is already existing. We have few
choice to ignore that if the print system shall conform to.