[Openicc] Printing Plans GhostScript / sRGB / ICC

Alastair M. Robinson blackfive at fakenhamweb.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 15:10:49 PST 2011

Hi,

On 02/03/11 21:23, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

>> Asking Ghostscript to honor platform specific job ticket info, I
>> think, will cause problems. These documents really need to be self
>> defining, and make it easy to produce documentation for so people know
>> how this stuff works. Simplification is very important here.
>
> I want to second the last sentence. Ambiguity buys us only workarounds
> upon workarounds. The job ticket info for a "no colour management" flag
> is a additional path for the PDF standard specified one.

Surely it would be pdftoraster's job to honour the
disabling-colour-management option (via a command-line option to
GhostScript, which unless I'm mistaken, Michael has already agreed in
principle to add)?  That keeps honouring the job ticket within CUPS's
sphere.

As far as keeping it simple goes, what could be simpler than a simple
toggle in the print dialog, between what amounts to "Make my colours
pretty" and "leave my colours the hell alone?"

I think any solution based on second-guessing or requiring specific
flavours of PDF is going to be way too fragile, unpredictable, and yes,
ambiguous.

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson