[Openicc] Printing Plans GhostScript / sRGB / ICC

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Mar 2 15:37:50 PST 2011

On Mar 2, 2011, at 4:10 PM, Alastair M. Robinson wrote:

> Surely it would be pdftoraster's job to honour the disabling-colour-management option (via a command-line option to GhostScript, which unless I'm mistaken, Michael has already agreed in principle to add)?  That keeps honouring the job ticket within CUPS's sphere.

It could be in either pdftopdf or pdftoraster. It depends on how much abstraction you want for pdftoraster for such things. If someone inserts their own pdftoraster then what? I think we might be better off with as unambiguous of a PDF as possible by the time we get to pdftoraster and not expect pdftoraster to clean things up internally. With pdftopdf we can redirect the pdf to a file, and inspect it for why we're getting certain behaviors further down the chain.

> As far as keeping it simple goes, what could be simpler than a simple toggle in the print dialog, between what amounts to "Make my colours pretty" and "leave my colours the hell alone?"

I prefer such an option in a pop-up menu along with manually selectable ICC profiles for the printer. That way it's not possible to choose an ICC output device profile *and* choose "leave things alone."

> I think any solution based on second-guessing or requiring specific flavours of PDF is going to be way too fragile, unpredictable, and yes, ambiguous.

We already have second guessing of PDF intent, if it's not PDF/A or X or E. What does /DeviceRGB mean when the output is RGB and there is no OutputIntent?