[Openicc] Printing Plans GhostScript / sRGB / ICC

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Mar 2 17:55:55 PST 2011

On Mar 2, 2011, at 5:47 PM, Hal V. Engel wrote:

> > Should these applications be able to sent a "token" with their print job
> > that automatically sets the CPD to "no color management" automatically to
> > prevent a default condition of double color management?
>
> That is a possibiliy but why not just tag the objects in the PDF file correctly so that it is passed through?

The PDF is not yet generated at the time the CPD is presented to the user, nor is the job ticket. So a "token" is needed to the CPD at the time it's called. Similar to the document preview information.

When I hit "Print" in the application, that app presumably sends some information to cause the CPD to be brought up, including number of pages, document orientation, preview, and if the application is going to prematch the print job. If it is, then I think the CPD color management options should snap automatically to "Application Manages Color". I am disinclined to suggest that the user would be enabled to change this pop-up menu, that it should lock to this setting, or they need to go back to the app and change settings there if they want specific control in the CPD.

If application prematching is used, yes the PDF would be properly formed: something like PDF/X-4 but all objects would be /Device based with an OutputIntent should convey to the pipeline that the PDF should not be touched any further. But would still allow live transparency so Ghostscript can produce a better result for actual output device resolution than the application can.

There is little distinction between the PDF spool from a prematching application, and one that wants color management off for the purpose of calibration or characterization.

> The only time pass through or not is ambiguous is when there is no OutputIntent and the objects are tagged as DeviceXXX and there is only one DeviceXXX type used and it matches the printer color mode.

Agreed. This is ambiguous.

>   A CM aware app wanting it's already CMed spool file to pass through should set the profiles of the embedded objects == the OutputIntent and it will get pass through since this is completely unambiguous.  The main thing is to make sure that pdftoraster honors OutputIntent.

Yes.