[Openicc] Printing Plans GhostScript / sRGB / ICC

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Mar 8 14:56:43 PST 2011

On Mar 8, 2011, at 12:25 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

>> tagging the treatment of DeviceXXX upstream (overriding printer/RIP
>> defaults) needs to work outside the format PDL. That leaves informal
>> solutions within the PDL (ie. magic strings within comments), or adding
>> it to the print job information, in whatever form that takes.
>
> I do not see how a PDF/X with DeviceXXX and OutputIntent can be other
> interpreted as defined by the PDF spec other adhering to. If not its
> simply a bug. That opens the door to request standard conformance from
> all sorts of parties inside the chain to the device.

The ambiguity, if there is any, is that /DeviceXXX + OutputIntent does not always mean "no transform" (or /DeviceXXX). It's context specific. It only means this if the PDF is being delivered for output to the intended output condition defined by the OutputIntent. If that's not the case, the spec effectively treats /DeviceXXX objects as ICCBased, with the OutputIntent as the source. And what's then needed is an alternate destination profile to convert those objects to properly preserve color.

So if we're going to follow the spec, which I think we should, then the case of redirection needs to be built or disallowed. Not just willy nilly send this document off to be printed somewhere as /DeviceXXX on an unintended printer.