[Openicc] Printing Plans... Testcharts

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Sun Mar 6 23:33:53 PST 2011

Hello all,
In the commercial inkjet arena, i observe, that Screening, calibration
and profiling is most often divided from the PDF / PS RIP process.

If we use such approach in an CUPS envirronment, we would have e.g. a
utility for printing
charts like e.g.
1) per channel ink limit
2) per channel calibration
3) profiling
directly interacting with Gutenprint and ArgyllCMS.
We should also take in consideration, that printing step 2) needs to
apply 1 (per channel ink limit) and printing the profiling testchart
needs applying of of 1 and 2.

I don´t think, that such printing, calibration and profiling tasks
should be handled through the complete CUPS chain.
Using a utility directly interacting with the driver like e.g.
Gutenprint will be much more transparent and failure proof.
At the end, we have a driver setting with an assigned ICC profile, which
will than be communicated through cupsICCprofile to XXXtoRaster as a
target profile.

What are the tghought of the others ?

best regards
Jan-Peter