[Openicc] Printing Plans... Testcharts

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Mon Mar 7 01:24:15 PST 2011

Jan-Peter Homann wrote:
> I don´t think, that such printing, calibration and profiling tasks
> should be handled through the complete CUPS chain.

Creating separate workflows can make things unreliable if
accidentaly different treatment creeps in. Using a very similar
process to that used for calibration & profiling, it should be
possible to verify that the calibration or profiling is
having the intended effect in the print workflow.

> Using a utility directly interacting with the driver like e.g.
> Gutenprint will be much more transparent and failure proof.

Expecting the profiling package to directly interact with
the printing environment would multiply the work needed
in creating a calibration & profiling application considerably.
There should always be a method of performing this sort of task
in independent steps, both to allow a wide range of mix and match,
and to be able to diagnose what's going on.

Direct interaction with the printing environment should be possible
(for a smoother user experience), but not essential.