[Openicc] [argyllcms] Re: Helping with colord

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 01:24:47 PST 2011

On 7 March 2011 09:14, edmund ronald <edmundronald at gmail.com> wrote:
> Of course I didn't :)

Heh :)

> However the technology and calibration issues are the same as with any
> colorimeter; I wouldn't expect any surprises, other than the perennial
> matrix issues. In fact, I would expect my design to perform better
> than Huey, which at the time I did this was the low-cost instrument to beat.

Right, and I guess the Huey is still the low cost instrument to beat.
It's certainly what I advise people who ask to buy.

> My guess is that the technology I used was intended for, and will be
> or is found in some self-calibrating screens, where of course the
> calibration issues can be solved at manufacture time, and later by
> remeasuring with a spectro.

I guess if someone was to manufacture the devices in small quantity
they should just calibrate them at manufacture time with something
like a ColorMunki. I assumed you wanted to post the PCB and BOM online
and let people make their own colorimeter, open source style.

> I should stress that I did the hardware design myself, and had some
> protos fabricated, and wrote the Mac instrument drivers, I did not
> write full calibration software.

Right. It sounds like you could commercialize this and make a bit of
pocket money, on the assumption you can undercut the huey by a
significant enough margin for production volumes < 1000 or so. That's
the tricky bit.

Richard.