[Openicc] Helping with colord

Andrzej Nowicki andrzej.nowicki80 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 03:19:40 PST 2011

On 7 March 2011 08:35, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> As Graeme said, the "colord" community is basically just one developer
> at the moment: me. That said, I would welcome additional developers
> with open arms.

Super. I will contact you personally.

> If you're referring to Ookala MCF then I'm pretty
> sure that's a dead project, with only a handful of users.

No, I was referring to oyranos.

> What would be waaay more useful at this stage is for
> someone to sit down (or pay a developer to sit down) and do things
> like add color management support to to projects like clutter which
> could be used by lots and lots of projects, and benefit more than just
> colord.

I will ask if any project teams are using clutter. Many thanks.

> If you want to spend some time to get
> packages into Debian I'm sure that would be time well spent.

We will continue to compile locally for some time I think.

> Lots of questions! I guess you're referring to calibration devices
> like the huey and colormunki. I think those drivers still belong in
> the session (i.e. argyllcms and gnome-color-manager) as I don't see
> any benefit to being able to use them in the system layer. I'm open to
> discussion about that tho, if you have a compelling use case.

Very sorry about the questions. I will email you personally if this is
better for you. I am very pleased you answered so many questions from
my mail.

> As Alexandre said, I'm based in London. I can't really ask Red Hat to
> fund travel expenses for random visits, but if you're organizing a
> conference or something let me know and I can ask. I probably know
> about 10 words in Polish, and so I'd have to speak in English. :-)

English is indeed ok. We can pay reasonable expenses.

>  I guess you're asking so you can have
> one custom ICC profile for Matte paper, the same profile for Glossy
> paper, and a different profile for Plain paper.

I will ask the student what the exact issue is. I will forward your
email address to him.

> As for changing the qualifiers, I did think "power users" would be
> using the colorgui graphical tool shipped with colord for such
> changes. I suppose putting the UI in gnome-color-manager would also
> work, but I really want to keep GCM a high-level interface. Again, I'm
> open for ideas.

I did not know there was a colorgui tool. It looks like gtk-3 is
required for colorgui.

Many thanks,

Andrzej NOWICKI