[Openicc] Helping with colord

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 08:47:42 PST 2011

On 3/7/11, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

>>> I'm  guessing Andrzej meant by default. Also, isn't CinePaint dead
>>> upstream?
>
> Thats stretching facts.

The facts are that:

- there have been no new source code tarballs in *years*
- you are the only developer who barely touches that source code, as
far as I can tell
- there has been no progress feature-wise in years [1]

[1] No - neither Oyranos, nor UFRaw integration, nor unusable (by mere
mortals) HDR merge count as such.

>> http://sourceforge.net/project/stats/detail.php?group_id=75029&ugn=cinepaint&type=cvs&mode=12months
> What about the 3000 downloads per month(?):

What about them? Who are these 3000 people? Did they know they would
get 32bpc and basic color management on top of terribly outdated GIMP
1.2 feature set? Or did they read somewhere that this is what
professionals at Hollywood use and thus expected something on par with
Photoshop? I don't know -- you tell me :)

I can see how downloads mean anything to e.g. MuseScore where
downloads count keeps growing every bloody month, because growing
downloads is how you tell an alive project from sleeping from dead. I
can't see how downloads mean anything for a project that is (sadly) so
dormant that you need to poke it with a stick to figure out if it's
alive.

> As well:
> http://www.oyranos.org/scm?p=cinepaint.git;a=summary

That's exactly what I've been talking about for whole last year: lack
of communication to users. How are people supposed to know? The
ubermanager Robin Rowe presumably has no idea of your Git repo,
because back in November he wrote, and I quote, "The CinePaint project
and source code continue to be hosted at SourceForge". Or maybe he
doesn't care to update. Or maybe he thinks communication is not
important, but then what is?

I can't even see how often commits go into the Git tree without
cloning the repo, because both RSS feeds tell me there are no entries.

Seriously, what conclusions do you expect people to make?

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org