[Openicc] Helping with colord

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Mar 7 22:32:56 PST 2011

I am sorry for this thread going again off topic.

Am 07.03.2011 17:47, schrieb Alexandre Prokoudine:
>> Thats stretching facts.
> The facts are that:

Facts and merely belittling is for me quite different.

> - there have been no new source code tarballs in *years*
> - you are the only developer who barely touches that source code, as
> far as I can tell

Thats correct from what I could see. And thats why CinePaint has unique
features and robustness, which other comparable applications still do
not provide.

> l- there has been no progress feature-wise in years [1]
>
> [1] No - neither Oyranos, nor UFRaw integration, nor unusable (by mere
> mortals) HDR merge count as such.

CinePaint is colour management wise one of the most mature open
source applications outside the PDF world.
When it comes to printing photographs, I know only two open source
graphical applications providing satisfying results to my quality
requirements - PhotoPrint and CinePaint. I would be pleased to get to
know other applications with similar capabilities. That said, I
acknowledge, that for most users the print workflow as announced by
Till with vendor supplied profiles is the best chance to obtain improved
results.

I use CinePaint all the time to compare to other applications and to
cross check Oyranos. That there are so few patches with real changes
means to me only one thing: Many colour management bugs are simply fixed
and most of them before I left the project, because Oyranos was
decidedly not required for ubuntu.

In fact you are strongly belittling one of the few reference
applications in the area of GUI driven linux colour management. What is
your contribution to linux colour management? What is your technical
expertise in colour management? You judge on exactly what base?

>>> http://sourceforge.net/project/stats/detail.php?group_id=75029&ugn=cinepaint&type=cvs&mode=12months
>> What about the 3000 downloads per month(?):

> What about them? Who are these 3000 people? Did they know they would
> get 32bpc and basic color management on top of terribly outdated GIMP
> 1.2 feature set? Or did they read somewhere that this is what

They get stable colour management.

> professionals at Hollywood use and thus expected something on par with
> Photoshop? I don't know -- you tell me :)

Come one, you do not really want to make this old fan boy fairy tail
continue? Similar perception problems exist with other projects likewise.

>> As well:
>> http://www.oyranos.org/scm?p=cinepaint.git;a=summary
> That's exactly what I've been talking about for whole last year: lack
> of communication to users. How are people supposed to know? The

I want to place again my cut off answer to your above question:
>> The last patch dates from this year. Btw. many of those patches went
>> into Fedora.

Obviously I am not in the marketing team of CinePaint.

> ubermanager Robin Rowe presumably has no idea of your Git repo,
> because back in November he wrote, and I quote, "The CinePaint project
> and source code continue to be hosted at SourceForge". Or maybe he
> doesn't care to update. Or maybe he thinks communication is not
> important, but then what is?

Thats something to ask Robin not me.

> I can't even see how often commits go into the Git tree without
> cloning the repo, because both RSS feeds tell me there are no entries.

Use better tools for a quick overview of code projects. I doubt you
wanted to analyse.

> Seriously, what conclusions do you expect people to make?

That they do not stretch facts like you do here in order to decidedly
draw wrong conclusions.

regards,
Kai-Uwe