[Openicc] Printing Plans GhostScript / sRGB / ICC

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Mar 7 17:49:24 PST 2011

We're arguing the same thing. I'm just saying that an operating system *and* the PPDs found on it, should enable similar well behaved paths for printing to devices that insulate the user from stupid options. But that system is not in place because of the 20 year old PPD paradigm you're defending, but don't understand why I find it so irritating. It's one of the major reasons why we throw our hands up and say "ok this is pointless" for that entire class of devices, to be relegated to just sRGB and SWOP assumed.

So again, if it's really working for 99% leave it alone, convert to sRGB and SWOP and just let that whole era fade silently into the night. But if we're going to do any work to enable a sensible custom or manufacturer ICC workflow for these devices, their PPD's need to stop being malformed saboteurs for such a workflow. And I agree asking for that is a tall order.

Chris Murphy