[Openicc] Printing Plans GhostScript / sRGB / ICC

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Mon Mar 7 18:56:19 PST 2011

Chris Murphy wrote:
> insulate the user from stupid options. But that system is not in place because of the
> 20 year old PPD paradigm you're defending, but don't understand why I find it so
> irritating. It's one of the major reasons why we throw our hands up and say "ok this is
> pointless" for that entire class of devices, to be relegated to just sRGB and SWOP
> assumed.

It's not got a lot to do with PPDs. It's got a lot to do with PDL's and other file
formats using DeviceXXX as the lowest common denominator, and applications only
generating DeviceXXX.

> So again, if it's really working for 99% leave it alone, convert to sRGB and SWOP and
> just let that whole era fade silently into the night. But if we're going to do any work
> to enable a sensible custom or manufacturer ICC workflow for these devices, their PPD's
> need to stop being malformed saboteurs for such a workflow. And I agree asking for that
> is a tall order.

"malformed saboteurs" ? What sensible color managed workflow would depend on DeviceXXX
doing anything in particular ? It needs to be avoided or tagged. If that's done,
then PPD DeviceXXX handling settings can't sabotage anything.