[Openicc] Printing Plans GhostScript / sRGB / ICC

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Mon Mar 7 21:40:00 PST 2011

Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> smart apps are colour managed by the opt-out policy. Honestly I hope,
> similiar to Hal, that CM aware apps will soon embedd the OutputIntent
> and we are almost done.PC

I don't think that PDF/X OutputIntent is a general solution. You can't
control how applications create the PDF files (or even if they create
PDF at all - PS, PCL, raster files are all stuff that applications and
print client systems generate) , so any solution for
tagging the treatment of DeviceXXX upstream (overriding printer/RIP
defaults) needs to work outside the format PDL. That leaves informal
solutions within the PDL (ie. magic strings within comments), or adding
it to the print job information, in whatever form that takes.