[Openicc] Printing Plans GhostScript / sRGB / ICC

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Mar 7 23:25:54 PST 2011

Am 08.03.2011 06:40, schrieb Graeme Gill:
> Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>> smart apps are colour managed by the opt-out policy. Honestly I hope,
>> similiar to Hal, that CM aware apps will soon embedd the OutputIntent
>> and we are almost done.PC
>
> I don't think that PDF/X OutputIntent is a general solution. You can't
> control how applications create the PDF files (or even if they create
> PDF at all - PS, PCL, raster files are all stuff that applications and
> print client systems generate) , so any solution for

Given the spool format being announced as PDF, I tend to stress that.

> tagging the treatment of DeviceXXX upstream (overriding printer/RIP
> defaults) needs to work outside the format PDL. That leaves informal
> solutions within the PDL (ie. magic strings within comments), or adding
> it to the print job information, in whatever form that takes.

I do not see how a PDF/X with DeviceXXX and OutputIntent can be other
interpreted as defined by the PDF spec other adhering to. If not its
simply a bug. That opens the door to request standard conformance from
all sorts of parties inside the chain to the device.

It does, as you stated, not necessarily touch prematched print code. I
guess that what you mean with PDL print description language?

Raster input like Tiff or Jpeg is not yet clear how to handle. But it
could at some point simply be converted into PDF.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe