[Openicc] Helping with colord

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Mar 7 21:44:45 PST 2011

Am 07.03.2011 16:04, schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 7 March 2011 14:39, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Fedora has Oyranos packaged for CinePaint.
> I'm  guessing Andrzej meant by default.

Most people use a CD to install a basic system and then add what is
needed. A full DVD over the internet is still large. I never use the later.

>  Also, isn't CinePaint dead upstream?

... as dead as GCM, when you work on other projects.

>> [A undoubtedly valuable CMS for Linux like ArgyllCMS is not even
>> included in the comparison. ArgyllCMS is just minimal mentioned in
>> relation to the GCM profiler.]
> I don't see ArgyllCMS as a CMS. It's an excellent tool we can use to
> generate profiles, but it's not a component that we can, for example,
> say "give me all the profiles installed on the system". But that comes
> down to how you define a CMS. The ultimate example is lcms, which is

Among other things ArgyllCMS does ICC profile to device assignment.
I tent to see this is highly relevant to colord. That you do not wonders me.

> an excellent library for converting pixels and reading data from ICC
> profiles, but again doesn't satisfy my definition of a CMS.
>
> Maybe it's me that's wrong in my definition. I should perhaps start
> calling colord a "Color Management Framework" as CMS as a term seems
> so horribly overloaded.

It does not obsolete to give that new term some meaningful definition.
That same could be done for CMS.

>> Further I heavily suspect that DBus is misused in colord as a
>> replacement for proper integration in existing CMS mechanisms like PDF
>> or CUPS' PPD and Xorg's atoms.
> In colord, DBus is used as the transport. In Ghostscript we're
> registering profiles from the PPD with colord. GCM is getting the
> default monitor profile from colord and setting the _ICC_PROFILE
> atoms. The fact that I'm using DBus rather than a socket is just a
> trivial implementation detail.

On the technical level yes. On the conceptual level it confirms exactly
my point.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe