[Openicc] Helping with ... Architects and project leads

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Wed Mar 9 09:40:36 PST 2011

I think, we could go much faster forward, if the developers of apps like
e.g. Scribus, Krita, Inkscape would describe, what they expect from a
color management and printing framework !!!

Currently, Projects like e.g. Oyranos or GCM have to guess, what would
may helpful to them and what they may would integrate into their apps.

E.g. from my point of view, it would make e.g. sense for imaging
applications to use image based print spool format with embedded
document colorspace and CUPS raster-filter based on littleCMS with
support for cupsICCprofile.

This would solve the issue, that current PDF print spool API for LINUX
are far way from supportin ICC-profiles in PDF.
As CUPS filters could be changed for different spool formats we still
could support the sRGB approach for the PDFD world.

As cupsICCprofile is used for driver / media settings, it do not effects
driver projects like e.g. Gutenprint.

So from the architectural standpoint it makes sense to use such approach
for imaging applications supporting color management.

But still, we do not get any response from the app developers.

kind regards
Jan-Peter