[Openicc] Helping with ... Architects and project leads

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Wed Mar 9 13:16:02 PST 2011

Jan-Peter Homann wrote:
> Currently, Projects like e.g. Oyranos or GCM have to guess, what would
> may helpful to them and what they may would integrate into their apps.

Maybe. But I get the impression that often application writers
don't know a whole lot about color management, and therefore
look to the CMM for guidance in what they should do :-)

> E.g. from my point of view, it would make e.g. sense for imaging
> applications to use image based print spool format with embedded
> document colorspace and CUPS raster-filter based on littleCMS with
> support for cupsICCprofile.

A real CMM has somewhat more than that in it. Color transforms are
heavyweight in general, so it's good to share the color tables
by caching them in memory. Given that certain transformations
will be quite commonly used by many applications (ie. sRGB ->
the main display), this can be important.