[Openicc] VMs and display correcotions

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Mar 10 02:16:32 PST 2011

On Mar 10, 2011, at 3:01 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:

> On 10 March 2011 09:38, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
>> I am running Mac OS X 10.6.6 with two displays that the system has produced EDID based profiles for. However, VirtualBox 4.04 I don't think is passing this onto Fedora 14. Gnome Color Manager reports the one display (since the VM software is set for only two virtual displays) as Unknown Monitor and "Per-device settings not support. Check your display driver."
>
> That sounds like VirtualBox is not emulating a device with an XRandR
> 1.3 capability. You probably want to file a bug with VirtualBox about
> that, especially if it's allowing you to have more than one virtual
> monitor.

Display count in VB is set to one but lets me choose up to 8.

>> ioreg -l w 0 | grep "EDID"
>> gets me two strings of encoded data about the two displays attached.
>
> If you try using the xrandr command, you'll see the output devices as
> detected by X in Fedora 14.
[chris at mingisapsycho ~]$ xrandr
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1024x768              61.0*
   800x600              61.0
   640x480              61.0

I get the same results regardless of how much video RAM I throw at it, or if I enable 3D Acceleration and 2D Acceleration in VB.

Chris