[Openicc] OpenICC GSoC 2011 ideas

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 03:07:09 PDT 2011

On 23 March 2011 08:37, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> I would like make Oyranos to use this scheme/library to converge with
> ArgyllCMS and any interessted CMS.

You mean colord :-)

I think defining how to assign an identifier to a device is the
hardest task, and should probably be explicit in the project
description. For instance, colord uses "xrandr_%s" for display
devices, where %s is the xrandr device name.

If the ID is supposed to be specific using multiple hosts (perhaps
where the database store is shared between hosts, or is centrally
managed) then the ID would need to include details from the EDID or
DMI database as well.

If the monitor profile is specific to the display device and not
dependent on the connection method (e.g. DVI or VGA) then the xrandr
device name shouldn't be included at all. In this instance it might
make sense to include the EDID_vendor properties as match keys on the
device just like we have in the profile.

This means we're not mapping a "profile" to a "device" anymore, we're
defining a semi-qualified match policy on random metadata to random
metadata which is impossible for a basic user to understand in a GUI.

A can of worms indeed.

Richard

p.s. If such a standard was worked on, I'd be insane not to use it in
colord. I'm trying not to be hugely negative, I'm just pointing out
the pitfalls.