[Openicc] Color Management for Ubuntu

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 04:58:02 PDT 2011

Hi,

as everyone here on the list already knows, Fedora is introducing color
management. I would like to get it also into Ubuntu, version 11.10
(Oneiric).

The development cycle for Oneiric is starting now and on May 9-13 the
Ubuntu Developer Summit [0] for Oneiric will take place. For that I have
filed a Blueprint [1] for creating the specification [2] of the Color
Management implementation in Ubuntu. We also will have a discussion
session (BoF) on the Summit, with possibility of remote participation.

I want to ask you as color management experts for help to develop the
specification in order to get a working color management stack into
Ubuntu. It should make color management as easy as possible, both for
graphics professionals (easy calibration and color profile applying) and
for "normal users" who often even do not know about color profiles
(reasonable defaults). You are also invited to participate in the
discussion on the UDS and to fill the spec [2] (it is a Wiki). I think
the best is that we do the implementation similar to Fedora.

To participate, create a Launchpad [3] account and subscribe to
Blueprint and spec, to get notified about changes and to get write
access. For remote participation in the UDS session see [4].

Let us get a great color-managed Ubuntu.

    Till

[0]http://uds.ubuntu.com/
[1]https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-o-icc-color-management
[2]https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Specs/O/AddICCBasedColorManagement