[Openicc] Color Management for Ubuntu

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 12:19:38 PDT 2011

On 04/29/2011 04:48 PM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 29 April 2011 14:45, peter linnell<plinnell at scribus.info>  wrote:
>> My main purpose of this list was to support open source color management
>> wherever we can, no matter what the platform. I think because of the solid
>> participation of domain experts here we have seen real steady progress.
>
> The main problem is that a lot of patches have only just hit the
> development repositories for a few projects, but as soon as upstreams
> like foomatic and ghostscript do proper tarball releases it's really a
> no-brainer to push into distros.

Richard, now where Ubuntu Natty is out I will look into your patches
whether everything you sent me is actually applied and if something
needs work with Ghostscript developers I will talk with them.

Usually I do not apply patches to Foomatic for Ubuntu without applying
them upstream. Patches in Ubuntu's Foomatic packages are only there
because of Feature Freezes or coming from the Debian maintainer. They
will go upstream a soon as possible.

I have also good influence on most other projects of the printing stack
to get patches upstream, in many projects I have even direct write
access to the upstream repo.

> Until then, you have to convince the distro maintainer to apply a
> rebased patch to the distro packages; which some maintainers are
> hesitant to do.

I hope this will not be needed for long time and a distro should get
CM-ready by adding colord, Oyranos, gnome-color-manager, ... and
activating them by default.

    Till