[Openicc] Color Management for Ubuntu

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon May 2 00:52:40 PDT 2011

Am 29.04.11, 13:58 +0200 schrieb Till Kamppeter:
> I want to ask you as color management experts for help to develop the
> specification in order to get a working color management stack into Ubuntu.

For specifications we have:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/OpenIcc#Specifications and
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/OpenIcc#Proposals

These common specifications are the main integration points for different
implementations.

Specific for Ubuntu let me suggest you to look into CompICC [5]. This
Compiz plugin based desktop colour server introduces real time ICC colour
correction for displaying. It is the only open source implementation for
ICC colour correction in a compositing manager. All other open source
display solutions are based on pure calibration. A proper calibration
state is a pre condition for correct ICC colour correction.

> It should make color management as easy as possible, both for graphics
> professionals (easy calibration and color profile applying) and for "normal
> users" who often even do not know about color profiles (reasonable defaults).
> You are also invited to participate in the discussion on the UDS and to fill
> the spec [2] (it is a Wiki). I think the best is that we do the
> implementation similar to Fedora.
>
> To participate, create a Launchpad [3] account and subscribe to Blueprint and
> spec, to get notified about changes and to get write access. For remote
> participation in the UDS session see [4].
>
> Let us get a great color-managed Ubuntu.
>
>   Till
>
> [0]http://uds.ubuntu.com/
> [1]https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-o-icc-color-management
> [2]https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Specs/O/AddICCBasedColorManagement

I am not very familiar with Ubuntu conventions and would be happy if you
could add the above annotations to the wiki.

[5] http://compicc.sf.net/