[Openicc] Color Management for Ubuntu

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed May 4 10:17:10 PDT 2011

On May 3, 2011, at 11:13 AM, Ann McCarthy wrote:

> Please can we avoid this idea that colour management can or should be "disabled."

A robust color management system has an unambiguous method for a "passthrough" option for color space transformations, so that they do not occur. This is not disabling the color management system, it's asking it for a passthrough, and in an "opt-out" method of color management, this is what you'd have to have because without an explicit request you cannot get this passthrough option: all content is subject to transforms.

In an opt-in method, the color management system is passive, and does not do transforms unless requested. In that sense it's dormant or inactive, unless called to do something specifically.

When I'm conversing with people whom I think understand these things, I will use a more concise "disable color management" vernacular to mean one of the above two things, without further qualification. Probably a better way to say it would be to "disable color transforms" or "enable a color management passthrough".

It's still a question in my mind how to practically construct an opt-out color management system on the various Linux distros. It seems there are more exception apps that would ultimately opt-out, compared to the number of apps that would opt-in. So I'm still wondering if the effort needs to be making it much easier for the minority of apps to opt-in, than current "opt-in" methods of implementing system color management.