[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and Color Management

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue May 3 02:57:09 PDT 2011

On 2 May 2011 13:37, Jan-Peter Homann <homann at colormanagement.de> wrote:
> 1) Kai-Uwe, Richard, Graeme,
> Lets imagine the OpenICC community would develop a tool for adding an ICC
> dictType entry with Gutenprint driver setup to an existing ICC printer
> profile.
> What would be a good development strategy, that both Oyranos, g-c-m or
> ArgyllCMS can make use of this tool

Sure, colord can do whatever it needs to do, but I would like to
mention a more general point before we start talking architecture and
code.

If we use a GTK / QT / CPD or whatever dialog with something like this:

____________________
[   Print settings
[
[   Color management:
[        [_ EpsonStylusColor600PlainPaperGenuineInks.icc {>} ]
[        Black point compensation [X]

Then, we've **TOTALLY FAILED** at user-centric design and abstracting
all the low level technical details. We'd be asking users to fix the
gaping cracks in our architecture and blaming them when they get it
wrong.