[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and target printing

Alastair M. Robinson blackfive at fakenhamweb.co.uk
Thu May 5 12:24:24 PDT 2011

Hi,

On 05/05/11 16:32, Chris Murphy wrote:

> If a single application cannot be produced to do this correctly and
> reliably, we certainly have the very same problem with it in a CPD that
> then all applications are subject to with no other (simple) means of
> working around it. I think that's a problem.

What strikes me is that if it's impossible to do pass-through-colour
using the CPD then our standalone target-printing application has to
bypass the CPD completely.  It effectively has to implement a separate
printing path, and can't leverage the CPDs setting of options, job
tickets, etc., and the chances of keeping that application maintained
and "in sync" with the CPD are pretty slim.

Having a CPD flag that applications use to signal that "advanced"
options should be shown would be just about tolerable, I suppose, but
still seems like needlessly sacrificing functionality on the altar of
user-friendliness to me.  (And we see so much of that these days that
some of us, myself included, are admittedly hyper-sensitive and quick to
shout if we see any hint of it happening!)

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson