[Openicc] Thoughts IEEE PWG

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Mon May 9 01:18:56 PDT 2011

Hello list, James and Chris
Thanks for linking to the IEEE PWG.
I took a first overlook about the published papers and standard
concerning color management, documents file formats and media definitions.

My first impression, is that the current IEEE PWG focus is on sRGB based
only workflows.
discussed documents formats are e.g. XHTML Print, CUPSRaster and PDF
containing only raster files.

I have seriuosly doubts, that printing infrastructure conforming to IEEE
PWG will be able  to proper colormanage blog entries  containing images
with different embedded ICC profiles, or to reprint a PDF/X file, which
was created first time for offset printing.

The best way IEEE PWG could do to avoid color management problems, would
be a clear statement, that the client should render all color objects to
sRGB, before sending it to an IEEE PWG conforming printing service.

I think OpenICC is community, where it is mandatory, that OpenICC
conforming workflows should support both a sRGB appoach with simple UI
and complex ICCbased workflow for color enthusiast and color
professionals with an UI necessary for dealing with complex ICC workflows.

So i don´t see where IEEE PWG could make a positive impact for OpenICC
topics.

best regards
Jan-Peter