[Openicc] Prototype Color Managed Gutenprint - where to put the settings files?

Alastair M. Robinson blackfive at fakenhamweb.co.uk
Mon May 9 16:59:26 PDT 2011

Hi,

On 09/05/11 23:58, edmund ronald wrote:

> If there exists a "canonical" place to put ink settings, eg. the same
> place as the PPDs, then maybe we could enable this feature in the
> standard distribution of Gutenprint, which is something *I* would much
> prefer, as the feature would then be integrated in the main
> distributions and be *tested* and available for use by all the color
> management superstructure we have been discussing at length here.

How about using the conventions of the XDG specification?
http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

Disallow absolute paths and "../" in the filename specified in
*StpSettingsFile:
then search $XDG_DATA_HOME/gutenprint/presets for the specified file,
and if not found, search the paths in $XDG_DATA_DIRS/gutenprint/presets.
XGG_DATA_HOME should default to "$HOME/.local/share/ and XDG_DATA_DIRS
to /usr/local/share:/usr/share

In this way we get the best of both worlds - presets in a standard
location, and user-installable presets that don't require admin
privileges, provided the user and print server are on the same machine,
and avoid the worst of the security problem, i.e. presets being
potentially stored in arbitrary and potentially world-writable locations.

In the longer term, though, do you envisage the preset being loaded from
a file, or being extracted on the fly from an ICC profile's metadata by
rastertogutenprint?

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson