[Openicc] Prototype Color Managed Gutenprint - where to put the settings files?

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Mon May 9 16:55:48 PDT 2011

On Tue, 10 May 2011 00:58:53 +0200, edmund ronald wrote:
> Hi to whoever this may concern :)
>
> Robert and I would welcome comments on the practical  issue below,
> especially from the distribution guys..
> We will SOON enable "settings" for Gutenprint, and start using them for our
> own work in describing inking behavior.
> The question is where to put the settings files. If  they get placed in
>  /tmp/ as Robert suggests, we may be creating security issues and in any
> case we would have a fragile prototype and this could only be done in a dev
> branch.
> If there exists a "canonical" place to put ink settings, eg. the same place
> as the PPDs, then maybe we could enable this feature in the standard
> distribution of Gutenprint, which is something *I* would much prefer, as the
> feature would then be integrated in the main distributions and be *tested*
> and available for use by all the color management superstructure we have
> been discussing at length here.
>
> All *concrete, immediate* suggestions appreciated.

WHOA!!!  Edmund, you and I got our wires *WAY* crossed.

I had something completely different in mind: an engineering proof of
concept for the Gutenprint CUPS driver to be able to read a settings
file and use it.  Whether that settings file/stream comes from a
separate file, embedded in the PPD, or embedded in an ICC profile
doesn't matter for this purpose, so I thought we were talking about
sticking it in a file whose name is embedded in the PPD file
(obviously, that would be entered manually).  I just stuck in the
first place that came to mind, which is clearly not what where it
would go in production.

The issue of where to store the settings file is completely separate.
That's something the OpenICC and OpenPrinting architects need to work
out.