[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and target printing

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue May 10 10:16:24 PDT 2011

Am 09.05.2011 14:30, schrieb Alastair M. Robinson:
> Both Ghostscript and Poppler have working colour management now, for
> varying values of working.  CUPS has the CUPSICCProfile mechanism,
> which again works today.  Is the consensus that this mechanism isn't
> flexible enough for our needs, or should we design towards it?

cupsICCProfile is a server thing which maps well to package distribution
and administrator configurations. Its thus not very well designed for
user configurations and need a complement.
colord is in my understanding a mixture of a server hooks and user
approach to getting user profiles involved. Oyranos follows a compact
approach of self contained documents without the need to modify system
components.

> Section 3 - linking of ICC profiles and raster driver settings.
> One point I've made several times already, but which I'll re-iterate
> here:
> Don't assume a one-to-one mapping between a particular instance of
> driver settings and an ICC profile.  There are two situations I use on
> a daily basis where one set of printer settings maps to many profiles:

I think Ann has already answered this.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe
--